Future Museum is the plan that is transforming Tāmaki Paenga Hira Auckland Museum and ensuring we deliver our mission and vision over the next 20 years.
An exciting programme of renewal and revitalisation over the next five years will deliver value onsite, offsite and online for our visitors.
Future Museum will do this by:
• Meeting the needs of a diverse and growing population
• Restoring and revealing the heritage features of this iconic building for future generations
• Playing our part in Auckland’s tourism economy, by welcoming increasing numbers of visitors from all corners of the world
Over the next 5 years, the Museum will transform its onsite public spaces and visitor experience by:
• Improving physical access to the Museum from the Auckland Domain
• Returning 20% more space to the public for galleries and collection display
• Renewing one third of public galleries with rich stories shared in engaging and innovative ways
• Providing easier and more intuitive ways to get around the building
• Improving manaakitanga by enhancing the welcome and arrival areas for visitors
• Creating a vibrant and compelling hospitality and retail hub
• Restoring one of New Zealand’s most iconic heritage buildings for future generations
When work is underway:
• We will remain open
• We will continue to deliver new and exciting public experiences onsite and offsite in the community
• Māori Cultural Performances will be temporarily relocated to the Auditorium
• Guided tours will continue and may take different routes from time to time
• Temporary layout changes and movement of facilities will be signposted and communicated clearly
So what changes will you see?
A New Pathway
A new pathway from Titoki Street, Parnell will vastly improve access to the southern entrance, whether you’re on foot, pushing a stroller, or in a wheelchair.
New Public Space – East and West Walkways
New walkways will be built on each side of the ground floor to make it easier to walk through the building. This will increase the amount of floor space for collections to go on display.
We’ll welcome you with manaakitanga when you arrive. You’ll be introduced to Tāmaki Makaurau and our Māori and Pacific connections. You’ll be able to enjoy refreshments, either in the cafe or the Kai Room, and shop in the Museum Store, which will relocate to this vibrant visitor arrival area. The upgrade will also enable a greater range of events to be held onsite.
Ground Floor Galleries
In the new galleries, you’ll be able to explore stories about the people and places that make Tāmaki unique, including the navigation from the Pacific, the discovery of Aotearoa, and the arrival of tangata whenua. Heritage features of the building will be restored for future generations and visitors will encounter more interactive experiences.
The growth in school group visits and demand for our dedicated onsite education space means two classrooms will be modernised. These new classrooms will align with best practice learning environments.
In 2019, the Kai Room will be relocated to the ground floor Atrium so you can bring your own food and drink to enjoy. A temporary Kai Room will be located outside the southern entrance, allowing the space on level one to be returned to a public gallery.
New Public Space – Central Level One
A new learning space will be built outside the classrooms on level one. Visiting school groups will be able to gather and orientate themselves here.
Level One Galleries
New galleries will be created on level one that will share the story of our environment.
You will be able to explore and discover the landscapes, environments and wildlife of Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa and beyond.
Level Two Galleries
The Pou Maumahara Memorial Discovery Centre opened in 2016. In October 2017, Pou Kanohi New Zealand at War will open. With its heritage features restored, this gallery will be a place for people to learn about New Zealand’s unique story of the First World War and why, more than 100 years later, it still matters.
To get involved and support Future Museum visit http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/get-involved/auckland-museum-foundation.
Future Museum - full document
Read the latest update and overview on our progress with Future Museum.
- Auckland Museum: Future Museum
- Future Museum is a high-level strategic and capital investment plan that will guide a process of transformational change at Tamaki Paenga Hira – Auckland War Memorial Museum.
- Last updated on: 30 Jul 2013 | File Size: 1.6 MB
Read the Future Museum eBook