- My Russian side : in my own words : me tracking down my birth parents then meeting them in Russia for the first time in my life / by Alex Gilbert ; edited by Michelle Stevens
HV875.58 GIL (Call Number)
'My Russian side' follows the story of Alex Gilbert when he travels to Russia to meet his birth parents for the first time.
41 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Images provided by the author (Copyright)
My Russian side : in my own words : me tracking down my birth parents then meeting them in Russia for the first time in my life
- "Born in Arkhangelsk, Russia. Alex Gilbert was adopted out of Russia when he was 2 years old in 1994 by his NZ parents 'Mark and Janice Gilbert'. Alex's parents also adopted his brother Andrei who was from the same orphanage.
- Alex Gilbert started his search for his birth parents at the start of 2013 after searching through his old adoption documents. After doing a search online and through several Russian social networks he eventually traced his birth mother and birth father. Alex was followed by TVNZ's Sunday program during his search and when he went to Russia.
- After the story aired in February 2014 Alex finished his book 'My Russian Side' and released it in April 2014 as a free download. The physical paperback became available in May 2014."--Provided by the author.
- Also available to download from Alex Gilbert's website
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.