- Pink triangle : the newspaper of the National Gay Rights Coalition of New Zealand / Hugh Gaw, editor
HQ76.8.N5 PIN (Call Number)
"So we are now PINK TRIANGLE. We chose this name because of its historical connections with the gay movement in that the pink triangle was first used as a symbol of degradation against gay women and men in the concentration camps of Nazi Germany. From a symbol of degradation it has been adopted by the international gay community as a symbol of pride. Pride in ourselves as gay people and pride and anger when we remember the more than a quarter of a million people who were forced to wear it to their deaths in the camps. The pink triangle was worn by both women and men and so it is a common bond between us. A bond that can be strengthened to fight against all forms of sexist oppression. In many ways the struggle of gay women against their oppressors is not the same as for gay men and this is something that the men will have to realize and work on. Freedom of expression of gay rights is not something which can be done in isolation from the struggles of other oppressed minorities."-- Editorial, Page 2, No.1 (14 May 1979).
"Pink Triangle was the newspaper of the National Gay Rights Coalition and was an important source of news and feature articles for all Lesbians and Gay men in New Zealand"--Subscription flyer, 1981.
No.1 (14 May 1979) - No3 (6 Aug 1979) ; No.5 (29 Oct 1979) - No.24 (Jun 1981) ; No.26 (Aug 1981) - No.40 (Nov 1982) ; No.44 (Jul-Sep 1982) ; No.46 (Mar/Apr 1984) - No.79 (Sep/Oct 1989) ; No.81 (Jan/Feb 1990) - No.85 (Sep/Oct 1990).
volumes : illustrations (some colour), portraits ; 30-42 cm
- Homosexuality--New Zealand--Periodicals (General Subject)
- Lesbians--History--20th century--Periodicals (General Subject)
- Gay men--New Zealand--History--Periodicals (General Subject)
- Lesbians--New Zealand--Political activity--Periodicals (General Subject)
- Gay Rights--New Zealand--Periodicals (General Subject)
- Gay Liberation Movement--New Zealand--Periodicals (General Subject)
Pink triangle : the newspaper of the National Gay Rights Coalition of New Zealand
- New Zealand History website pages on the Homosexual law reform movement in New Zealand. The National Gay Rights Coalition of New Zealand was one of the earliest groups campaigning for law reform in the 1980s.
- In broadsheet format until No.64 in 1987, thereafter in magazine format.
- Title changes to 'Pink triangle : New Zealand's lesbian/gay magazine' with No.64 in 1987 and to 'Pink triangle : New Zealand's gay magazine' with No.75, the last issue, in 1989.
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.