Thomas Frederick Cheeseman - Papers and botanical notebooks
MS-58 (Reference Number)
For details see inventory. Arranged alphabetically by surname of correspondent.
29 boxes containing a total of 96 folders plus 73 volumes (2.9 linear metres)
- Cockayne, Leonard, 1855-1934 (General Subject)
- Poppelwell, Dugald Louis, 1863-1939 (General Subject)
- Botany--New Zealand (General Subject)
- Phillips, Coleman, d. 1925 (General Subject)
- Mason, Frances Mary Young, 1882-1932 (General Subject)
- Hooker, Joseph Dalton, Sir, 1817-1911 (General Subject)
- Cheeseman, Thomas Frederick, 1845-1923 (General Subject)
- Colenso, William, 1811-1899--Correspondence (General Subject)
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882 (General Subject)
Cheeseman, Thomas Frederick. Papers and botanical notebooks, 1867 - 1923. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS-58.
- Thomas Frederick Cheeseman (1845-1923) was the Auckland Institute and Museum botanist and sole curator for nearly 50 years from 1874 until his death in 1923. During his career, Cheeseman described three plant genera, some 140 species, 67 varieties and one forma. A genus and 29 plant species from New Zealand and the Cook Islands were named after him. He published the 'Manual of the New Zealand flora' (1906, 2nd ed. 1925) and 'Illustrations of the New Zealand flora' (1914), in addition to numerous scientific articles. In 1918 he was awarded the Hector Memorial Medal and Prize. Amongst his other accolades, he was elected fellow of the Linnean Society of London and in 1923 received their prestigious gold medal.
- Typed transcript of Cheeseman's letter of appointment to the Office of Secretary and Curator of the Auckland Institute and Museum, 1874, is available on request. [Ref. MS-58, box 2, folder 3, item (c.)]
- Includes Brenda F. Slade's award-winning "Spring Diary", entered by her for the Cheeseman Memorial Competition in 1940. [Ref. MS-58, box 29] (Acc. No. 75/21)
- Seven letters written by Dugald Poppelwell to Cheeseman are available as electronic files (PDF). Please contact Museum Library staff for details. [Ref. MS-58, box 14, folder 1, item (a.)]
- Six letters, one note and a list of plants on Tiritiri Matangi (1907-1909), written by Anders Hansen to Cheeseman are available as an electronic file (PDF). Please contact Museum Library staff for details [Ref. MS-58, box 8, folder 2]. See also additional correspondence from Hansen to Cheeseman held at MUS-1995-41-3.
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.