Anaha Te Rahui
- 51/1.11 (Accession Number)
- PD-1951-1-11 (Reference Number)
C.F. Goldie. Auckland NZ 1916 (Signature)
Ānaha Te Rāhui, Ngāti Tarāwhai.
Costume of korowai (Māori cloak), hei tiki (greenstone figural pendant), one huia feather adorning the hair, and shark tooth ear pendant.
- 615 mm. x 510 mm. (sight)
- 790 mm. x 685 mm. (frame)
Oil on canvas
- Te Rahui, Anaha Kepa, d. 1913 (General Subject)
- Hei tiki (Maori Subject)
- Huia (Maori Subject)
- Ngati Tarawhai (New Zealand people)--Portraits (General Subject)
- Korowai (Maori Subject)
- Painting, New Zealand--20th century (General Subject)
- For cultural reasons, copying or reproducing this item requires specific permission. Please contact us for more information. (Copyright)
- Access by appointment (Access Notes)
Goldie, C. F. (1916) Ānaha Te Rāhui. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Tamaki Paenga Hira. PD-1951-1-11.
- Original frame.
- Celebrated carver of Ngāti Tarāwhai, hapū of Te Arawa. One of those responsible for carving the pou in the meeting house "Rangi-tihi", Auckland Museum Collection. For more details see The people of many peaks: Maori biographies from the Dictionary of NZ biography. Vol 1, p.238-239.) see also Blackley 1997, p. 187.
- On back of frame: Ana To Rahui, famous carver of the Arawa Tribe.
- One of two portraits of Anaha Te Rahui by Goldie. see PD-1951-1-12.
- 1947 estate valuation £80
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.