Anaha Te Rahui, the Celebrated Carver of Rotorua
- 51/1.12 (Accession Number)
- PD-1951-1-12 (Reference Number)
C.F. Goldie. Auckland NZ 1908 (Signature)
Ānaha Te Rāhui, Ngāti Tarāwhai.
Costume of korowai (Māori cloak), hei tiki (greenstone figural pendant), two huia feathers adorning the hair, and kuru (greenstone ear pendant).
765 mm. x 640 mm.
Oil on canvas
- Kuru pounamu (Maori Subject)
- Korowai (Maori Subject)
- Huia (Maori Subject)
- Te Rahui, Anaha Kepa, d. 1913 (General Subject)
- Hei tiki (Maori Subject)
- Ngati Tarawhai (New Zealand people)--Portraits (General Subject)
- For cultural reasons, copying or reproducing this item requires specific permission. Please contact us for more information. (Copyright)
- Access by appointment (Access Notes)
Goldie, C. F. (1908) Ānaha Te Rāhui, the Celebrated Carver of Rotorua. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Tamaki Paenga Hira. PD-1951-1-12.
- Original frame.
- Celebrated carver of Ngāti Tarāwhai, hapu of Te Arawa. One of those responsible for carving the pou in the meeting house "Rangi-tihi", Auckland Museum Collection. For more details see The people of many peaks: Maori biographies from the Dictionary of NZ biography. Vol 1, p.238-239. See also Blackley (1997) p. 187.
- One of two portraits of Anaha Te Rahui by Goldie. see PD-1951-1-11.
- A Goldie autograph copy of this work, dated 1909 was acquired in 2005 by Te Papa Tongarewa. See Taylor p. 207.
- First shown at Auckland Society of Arts exhibition 1908 with title 'Anaha Te Rahui, the Celebrated Carver of Rotorua'. Price £84.
- 1947 estate valuation £100
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.