Hinemoa, the Belle of the Kainga
- 51/1.14 (Accession Number)
- PD-1951-1-14 (Reference Number)
C.F. Goldie. 1913 (Signature)
Hinemoa, Te Arawa.
Costume of korowai (Māori cloak), hei tiki (greenstone figural pendant), two huia feathers adorning the hair, and a kuru (greenstone ear pendant).
640 mm. x 545 mm.
Oil on canvas
- Maori (New Zealand people)--Portraits (General Subject)
- Huia (Maori Subject)
- Kuru pounamu (Maori Subject)
- Women, Maori (General Subject)
- Hei tiki (Maori Subject)
- Korowai (Maori Subject)
- Te Arawa (New Zealand people) (General Subject)
- Hinemoa (General Subject)
- For cultural reasons, copying or reproducing this item requires specific permission. Please contact us for more information. (Copyright)
Goldie, C. F. (1913) Hinemoa, the Belle of the Kainga. Auckland War Memorial Museum - Tamaki Paenga Hira. PD-1951-1-14.
- Original frame.
- The model for Hinemoa identified in newspaper clippings in the Goldie Scrapbook, Vol 8, pp. 43 (full page image, uncaptioned) and p 49 (captioned as 'Shy Sisters').
- Also identification with Goldie photograph catalogue no. PH-1976-4-10.
- See also Blackley (1997) p. 189.
- First exhibited in the Auckland Society of Arts Exhibition 1913 with title 'Hinemoa, the Belle of the Kainga'. Sale price £31 s10.
- 1947 estate valuation £40
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.