Some of the most interesting animals on earth live in the ocean. We aim to show you the diversity of marine life.
- Years 1–3
- $5 per student for a one-hour programme
- Term 1, Wed-Fri, 2018
- Auckland Museum Land gallery
- Curriculum links
- Te Whāriki: Early Childhood Curriculum
- The Nature of Science
The Living World
Our Wonders of the Sea programme aims to inspire young learners to become future scientists and conservationists. Through a fun, interactive approach learners are sent on a mission to discover the wonders of the sea and its animals. We encourage learners to respect and care for animals and understand the vital role these creatures play in our environment and ecosystem. The programme aims to connect young people to the Museum's marine collections, curators and scientists, and expose them to social and cultural topics.
The Wonders of the Sea programme is designed to:
- inspire young learners about the ocean and our role in looking after it
- explore the ocean and what lives under the water
- investigate the ocean's multiple levels of importance – environmental, cultural and scientific
- motivate learners to discover, explore and learn about scientists and their research, with a focus on the scientific achievements of Auckland Museum
- encourage learners to engage with the handling collections and specimens
- enable learners to share and relate their own understanding of the ocean and related topics.