Ipu Moana: Pacific music and dance
In this programme students trace the dispersal of musical instruments and dance throughout the Pacific and finally to Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Years 1–8, maximum 30 students
- $8 per student for a two-hour programme
- Terms 1 and 2, 2018
- Pacific Lifeways gallery
- New Zealand Curriculum
- The arts: levels 1 - 4
Social sciences: levels 1 - 4
- Related galleries
- Pacific Lifeways, Masterpieces
Ipu Moana means 'ocean calabash'. This term embodies aspects of the vibrant and unique cultural traditions of peoples throughout the Pacific Ocean region.
In this session we explore materials, construction techniques, performance and meanings behind some of the instruments and dance repertoire throughout the Pacific.
In this programme students will:
- engage in a collection-based learning experience, through the playing musical instruments, participate in dance
- handle objects and learn stories associated with vibrant Pacific music and dance
- get creative with traditional dance costumes from the Pacific.