He Kete Mātauranga: Kōwhaiwhai
The whare tupuna, ancestral house, talks about family connections through kowhaiwhai, whakairo and tukutuku.
- Year levels 1-8, maximum 30 students
- $5 per student for a one-hour programme
- Terms 3, and 4, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 2017
- He Taonga Māori gallery, Hotunui
- Curriculum links
- Social Sciences, levels 1 - 3
Technology, levels 1 - 2
In this lesson your students will:
- Explore how stories are depicted inside the whare
- Learn the names of some kowhaiwhai patterns and symbols through simple waiata or haka
- Create their own kowhaiwhai story
Learn about kōwhaiwhai – our painted stories, and have fun doing it.
This lesson is part of the He Kete Mātauranga programme, which aims to share the culture, politics and stories of our Māori ancestors.