He Kete Mātauranga: Taonga Puoro
Explore the stories behind our taonga pūoro. Discover how they are played, then have a go!
- Year levels 9-13, maximum 30 students
- $5 per student for a one-hour programme
- Term 4, Mon to Fri 2017
- Auckland Museum Learning Centre, Hotunui
- Curriculum links
Social Sciences, levels 1 - 2
Technology, levels 1 - 2
- Related galleries and exhibitions
- Te Ao Tūroa
According to one tradition, "It was in the night, that the Gods sang the world into existence. From the world of light, into the world of music."
In this lesson your students will:
- explore the origins of music and dance, hake, through storytelling, role play and object handling.
- discuss purpose, design and function of some of our favourite instruments
- make and take your own instrument
Have fun learning with us at Auckland War Memorial Museum
This lesson is part of the He Kete Mātauranga programme, which aims to share the culture, politics and stories of our Māori ancestors.