He Kete Mātauranga: Te Whare Tū Tauā
Hand to hand combat featured significantly in tribal warfare. Haka readied adults for battle. Stories, games and drills readied children for adulthood.
- Year levels 9-13, maximum 30 students
- $5 per student for a one-hour programme
- Terms 1 and 2, 2018
- He Taonga Māori gallery, Hotunui
- Curriculum links
- Social Sciences, levels 1 - 4
Health and Physical Education, levels 1 - 3
- Related galleries and exhibitions
- Te Ao Tūroa
In this lesson your students will:
- be introduced to some of the ancestors in Hotunui, through storytelling
- handle some of our traditional weapons
- take part in games and drills designed to improve skills needed for hand to hand combat
- take part in a haka
Discovery the art and beauty of Māori weaponry, and have fun doing it!
This lesson is part of the He Kete Mātauranga programme, which aims to share the culture, politics and stories of our Māori ancestors.