Te Tiriti o Waitangi: The Treaty of Waitangi
The Treaty of Waitangi united two cultures and birthed a nation. Who were those people and what event brought them together?
- Year levels 9-13, maximum 30 students
- $5 per student for a one-hour programme
- Term 1, Mon-Fri 2017
- Auckland Museum Learning Centre, Auckland Museum Hotunui
- Curriculum Links
Social Sciences: levels 4 - 8
Technology: levels 4 - 8
Te Reo Maori: levels 4 - 8
The Arts: levels 4 - 8
- Related galleries and exhibitions
Te Ao Tūroa (Māori Natural History), He Taonga Māori (Māori Court), Treaty of Waitangi exhibit, Tangata Whenua - The power of portraiture
The Treaty of Waitangi united two cultures and birthed a nation.
Who were those people and what were they hoping to achieve? What events led to the signing of our founding document? What were the after-effects of the Treaty signing? Is the Treaty still a viable document in today's society?
Your students will:
- explore the lead-up to the Treaty signing and its post-signing effects
- take a short tour of the Treaty of Waitangi exhibit
- compare and contrast the uniqueness of these two cultures through our handling collection
- explore the future of our founding document