Te Tiriti o Waitangi – The Treaty of Waitangi
Te Tiriti o Waitangi united two cultures and birthed a nation. Who were those people and what event brought them together?
- Years 9-13, maximum 30 students
- $5 per student for a one hour session
- Term 1 only, Feb 7 - April 13, available Mon - Wed, 2018
- Auckland Museum Hotonui, He Taonga Māori (Māori Court)
- Curriculum Links
- Social Sciences: levels 4 - 8
Technology: levels 4 - 8
Te Reo Maori: levels 4 - 8
The Arts: levels 4 – 8
- Related galleries and exhibitions
- Te Ao Tūroa (Māori Natural History), Treaty of Waitangi exhibit, Tā moko exhibition, Scars on the Heart gallery
Who were these two peoples and what was the world like for them? What events led to the signing of our founding document? What were the after-effects of the Treaty signing? Is the Treaty still a viable document in today's society?
Your students will:
- explore the lead-up to the Treaty signing and its post-signing effects
- compare and contrast the uniqueness of these two cultures through our handling collection
- explore the future of our founding document
These programmes are funded by the Ministry of Education.