Insects and arachnids are amazing creatures. Join us to discover more about them and the important role they play in our ecosystem.
- Early childhood (0–5 years)
- $5 per student for a one-hour session
- Term 1, Wed-Fri, 2018
- Auckland Museum Weird & Wonderful discovery centre
- Curriculum links
- Te Whāriki: early childhood curriculum
- Related galleries and exhibitions
- Land, Origins
Discover the wonderful world of insects and arachnids
Delivered from the Museum's Weird & Wonderful discovery centre, our Insects and Arachnids programme is designed to inspire young learners to become future scientists, environmentalists or entomologists. The children are sent on a mission to discover insects and arachnids through a fun, interactive approach that encourages them to respect, understand and care for the animals and creatures that play a vital role in our environment and ecosystem.
The programme aims to develop an understanding of key characteristics of insects and arachnids and connect young learners with Auckland Museum's entomology collections, curators and scientists.
It will give young learners:
- an understanding of the role of an entomologist
- the chance to investigate entomological tools and learn how they are used
- an introduction to entomology at Auckland War Memorial Museum – its curators, collection and research
- opportunities to observe and identify the characteristics of arachnids and insects
- an appreciation of the connectedness and relevance of the entomology collection to the history of the Weird & Wonderful gallery
- an understanding of the importance of insects to our environment.