Te Tiriti o Waitangi: The Treaty of Waitangi
Te Tiriti o Waitangi is New Zealand's founding document. How did the Treaty come to be?
- Year levels 1-8, maximum 30 students
- $5 per student for a one-hour session
- Terms 1 and 2, 2018
- Auckland Museum Hotunui, He Taonga Māori (Māori Court)
- Curriculum Links
Social Sciences: levels 1 - 6
Health and Physical Education: levels 1 - 4
- Related galleries and exhibitions
Te Ao Tūroa gallery, Te Tiriti o Waitangi exhibition, Scars on the Heart gallery, Tā Moko exhibition
Māori and Pākehā began a relationship from the time of Cook. What did this relationship look like? What caused the need for a treaty? What did the treaty intend?
We explore these questions and so much more through storytelling, discussion, role play and/or digital technology.
Your students will:
- discover the world as it was in 1840 and the events that lead to the signing
- compare and contrast the uniqueness of these two cultures through our handling collection
- explore the future of our founding document
These programmes are funded by the Ministry of Education.