Holy Trinity Cathedral Display
Bishop George Augustus Selwyn was New Zealand’s first Anglican bishop. He arrived to New Zealand in 1842, two years after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. Selwyn had big plans for Auckland, wanting to build an Anglican cathedral for the city.
In 1843, he bought the land in Parnell where Holy Trinity Cathedral stands today. Holy Trinity took 60 years to finish – with the chapel the final stage in the complex of buildings. Now the cathedral is completed it has been consecrated in October 2017.
On display are Bishop Selwyn’s writing box and his pedometer, an embroidered ceremonial cloak (loan) and a model of an artwork by sculptor Neil Dawson (loan). The original piece is one of the main features of the new Bishop Selwyn Chapel.