New Zealand's first international airport
Waterfront pier a gateway to international travel
Mechanics Bay in Auckland was home to New Zealand's first international airport. There was no runway - passengers travelled by flying boat, landed off-shore and embarked onto the pier.
In 1940, the inaugural flight by Tasman Empire Airways Limited (TEAL), ZK-AMA Aotearoa, flew from Mechanics Bay in Auckland to Rose Bay, Sydney. The first four months of operation saw a weekly return service between Auckland and Sydney and by 1944 there were three weekly return flights.
Mechanics Bay was the centre of international aviation for New Zealand until the 1950s. In 1953, after his ascent of Everest, Sir Edmund Hillary flew home to Mechanics Bay in a TEAL Solent.
TEAL's popular Pacific Island holiday package, The Coral Route, continued their flying boat service from Mechanics Bay until 1960.