condensed discuss document expanded export feedback print share remove reset document_white enquire_white export_white report_white
discuss document export feedback print share gallery-landscape

apron

Object / Artefact › History
  • Other titles
    • fraternal apron (descriptive name)
    • Ancient Order of Foresters (associated name)
  • Description
    apron
    red square apron, central cream coloured panel depicting an eye at top with rays, below is coat of arms with stag's head and crown. Below is an image in circular border of a male figure in a bed holding the hand of another male figure, standing, with a female figure sitting on the bed, and a child figure. On either side are two male figures in ornate border. Below is image in semi-circular border with "UNITAS BENEVOLENTIA ET CONCORDIA" at top on banner, below are two figures, one child and one female beside a gravestone reading "Sacred / TO THE / MEMORY / of A Brother / FORESTER". On either side of this image is an angel figure and a demon figure. Panel is bordered with metallic gold trim, in corners of apron are two gold metal badges, apron is trimmed with gold metal fringe, ties at top of apron with gold metal fixtures, cream coloured backing fabric, from suitcase 1991.314.065 - sh629
  • Place
    not researched
  • Other Number
    1991.314.59
  • Accession number
    1991.314.59
  • Collection area
  • Item count
    1
  • Record richness
apron; 1991.314.59; Photographed by: Bong Errazo; photographer; digital; 25 Jul 2016; © Auckland Museum CC BY
apron; 1991.314.59; Photographed by: Bong Errazo;… … Read more

Artefact

  • Credit
    Collection of Auckland Museum Tāmaki Paenga Hira, 1991.314.59
  • Notes
    The Ancient Order of Foresters with its motto Unity, Benevolence and Concord, began in England in the mid-eighteenth century. By the time the first New Zealand branch opened in 1852 it was an established friendly society, providing sickness and death benefits to its members and having a particular concern for widows and orphans. From 1909 their activities were governed by the Friendly Societies Act, which required the compulsory registration of all such societies. The first Auckland Court opened in 1863, and membership reached a peak in the mid 1930s. Since then membership has declined as many of the benevolent functions were taken over by the state.
  • Person
  • Subject category
  • Production
  • Signature/marks
    W PRITCHARD PCR 5261'
  • Consists of
  • Dimensions
    • 0 - Whole height : 465mm
    • 0 - Whole width : 770mm
  • Classification
    Chenhall Nomenclature (Nomenclature)
    › 08 Communication Artifacts (Category)
    › Personal Symbols (Classification)
    › Status Symbols (Sub-classification)
    › Regalia (Primary Term)
    › Apron, Fraternal (Secondary Term)
  • Record created
    8 July 2016

Object tags

Auckland Museum tags

Visitor tags

Contribute
  • Contribute more detail to this record by adding your own names, classifications or categories via a tag. Tags also make this record more findable on search.

Related items

Results from DigitalNZ

  • Apron
    Raglan and District Museum
  • Apron
    Raglan and District Museum
  • Apron
    Mataura Museum
  • Apron
    Dunedin Public Art Gallery
  • Apron
    Dunedin Public Art Gallery

Other items

    The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.