condensed discuss document expanded export feedback print share remove reset document_white enquire_white export_white report_white
discuss document export feedback print share gallery-landscape xml

jar or flagon

human history
  • Other Name

    LD Nathan & Co. Distillers Co. Ltd (DCL) stoneware whisky jar (descriptive name)

  • Description

    LD Nathan & Co. Distillers Co. Ltd (DCL) stoneware whisky jar

    stone jar, tan top, marked: THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS LIQUOR / THE DISTILLERS COMPANY LTD / CELEBRATED 'D.C.L.' WHISKY / SOLE AGENTS / L.D.NATHAN & CO. AUCKLAND", "2 / 2241" and stamped "HY.KENNEDY / BARROWFIELD / POTTERY / GLASGOW

  • Place
  • Associated Place
  • Accession Number
    2014.24.59
  • Accession Date
    15 Apr 2014
  • Other Id

    63/2 (auction number)

  • Department
jar or flagon, 2014.24.59, 63/2, Photographed by Richard NG,… … Read more

Images and documents

Images

Artefact

  • Credit Line
    Collection of Auckland Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira, 2014.24.59
  • Primary Maker

     Barrowfield Pottery (Bottle manufacturer)

     L D Nathan & Co. (Retailer)

     Distillers Company Ltd (Maker)

  • Place
  • Date
    Early 20th Century
  • Associated Notes

    LD Nathan & Co. Distillers Co. Ltd (DCL) stoneware whisky jar

    LD Nathan Ltd

    This company, originally established at Kororareka, was founded in 1840 by David Nathan.. Nathan also set up in Auckland as a storekeeper & auctioneer soon after the town site was purchased in 1840,

    operating from a tent in Shortland Street.

    Soon after setting up Nathan set the ground rules for diversification – he shipped in bulk beer from the Crown Brewery in Christchurch and bottled it in his own branded bottles; he opened a pickle factory selling pickles and sauces under the Yeoman brand, and imported and blended 10 types of tea.

    In 1875 David Nathan handed the business over to his two sons Lawrence and Alfred. The logo LDN dates from that time. Other brand names used by LD Nathan included ‘Standard brands’ of tea and coffee and the ‘Ostrich brand’ emblem used for sauces, both dating from the 1890s.

    As a wine and spirit merchant LD Nathan Ltd imported wines and spirits – being NZ agent for Udolpho Wolfe’s Aromatic Schnapps, and in 1874-75, when punitive excise duties resulted in the closure of two New Zealand distilleries, LD Nathan secured sole NZ agencies for a number of whiskies from the UK – importing them to and mix an LD Nathan blend, marketed as ‘Cambus Whiskey’ in special embossed bottles shaped like hip flasks.

    By 1900 the company operated as wine & spirit & general merchants, shipping, fire & marine insurance agents, and general produce brokers, handling kauri gum, flax, maize and other products. There was also an ostrich farm at Whitford Park near Howick – later moved to Pukekohe as the Helvetia ostrich farm, from which the Ostrich brand sauces took their name.

  • Associated Person
  • Associated Place
  • Associated Date
    Early 20th Century
  • Media
  • Measurement Reading

    390mm

    215mm

  • Subject Category
  • Classification
  • Last Update
    15 May 2023
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.

The gift of curiosity

With unlimited free entry to all paid exhibitions, discounted event tickets and exclusive Member-only events, a Museum Membership is the gift that keeps on giving year-round.

SEE OPTIONS FROM $60

The gift of curiosity