- Colonial fare : in which we learn of the amazing fortune and fate of pioneering women who ventured from their kitchens at Home to embark upon a new life in the unknown territory of New Zealand / Jill Brewis
TX725.N5 BRE (Call Number)
1. First impressions : introducing the women who left England in the 19th century to seek a new life in the Antipodes
2. A roof over her head : in which is given some account of what befell the colonial housewife in her search for a house
3. Furniture : in which is contained a description of colonial furniture and sundry other items
4. The colonial kitchen : in which we find the settler's wife in her kitchen
5. A settler's wife's day : in which the reader is enlightened of the diverse occuptions that filled her day
6. Doing the laundry : a colonial nightmare : which is all about the unexpected trails of washing, rinsing, wringing and drying
7. The problems of supplies : which is chiefly devoted to the difficulties encountered in obtaining provisions
8. Daily bread : in which the colonial housewife launches forth into breadmaking
9. Dairy maids all : in which is cleared of all doubts the progress of milk and cream from the cow to the cup
10. Gardening and home produce : which records the green fingers of the industrious housewife
11. Keeping food fresh : which contains a brief account of how food was kept fresh and how it was saved when not fresh
12. Putting down : wherein the truth is recorded of preserving, pickling, drying and salting
13. Drinks and refreshments : in which the reader receives information on liquid refreshments
14. Domestic servants : in which what befell our domestic servants and their employers is divulged
15. Maladies and medicines : in which is dealt with, among other matters, the illnesses that beset the Antipodean residents
16. Contact, communication and travel : which relates the progress of housewife in maintaining contact with her fellow colonials
17. Clothing and beauty : in which the reader learns of matters of fashion and frivolity
18. Etiquette for ladies : in which the difficulties of keeping up standards of behaviour and decorum are discussed
19. Social life and entertainment : in which are recorded such expeditions and entertainments as were enjoyed by our pioneering women
20. Special occasions : concerning true happenings and momentous occasions.
179 p. : ill. ; 22 cm x 26 cm.
Colonial fare : in which we learn of the amazing fortune and fate of pioneering women who ventured from their kitchens at Home to embark upon a new life in the unknown territory of New Zealand
Includes bibliographical references (p. 8-9) and index.
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.