MS-194 (Reference Number)
Typescript volume (34 cm) from Napier Minute Book 72: Aorangi judgement, Hastings, 23 February 1924. M. Gilfedder - Judge; H.W. Katene - Clerk; Ware Waitai - Interpreter. (pp. 87-115; 17 leaves)
Maori Land Court. Aorangi judgement, 1924. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS-194.
"Aorangi is a modern name given to a piece of land containing about 7200 acres situated near Takapau and formerly called Whenuahou. The Government under the mistaken belief that this land had been acquired by the Crown as the result of negotiations with the natives in 1854 and 1858 sold it in the early sixties to the Johnston family. When the Natives heard of this sale by the Crown they protested and as the result of their vigorous agitation the Hawkes Bay Alienation Commission was set up in 1875 to inquire into the merits of the Natives' claims and grievances. The report of the Commission, of which Mr. Justice Richmond was chairman, was unfavourable to the Natives, who continued to complain and to petition for redress. Horomona Rongoparae in 1896, Ihaoa Hutana in 1902 and 1911, and Tanguru Tuhua, Uru Davies and other in 1917, presented petitions to Parliament and eventually induced the Native Affairs Committee to recommend the Government to give the matter favourable consideration." [MS 194, p. 1]
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.