condensed discuss document expanded export feedback print share remove reset document_white enquire_white export_white report_white
discuss document export feedback print share gallery-landscape xml

Adventures of Early Missionaries, 1833-50

documentary heritage
  • Description

    Narrative of adventures of Early Missionaries 1833 - 1850 by Reverend John Morgan. Gives some account of the establishment of the Puriri Mission in 1833 and of others at Waikato, Matamata, Rotorua, and Tauranga. Consists principally of detailed accounts of hardships and anxieties of missionaries during periods of intertribal warfare. Morgan writes of the Waikato raid on Rotorua and the destruction of the Mission Station. Included are vivid accounts of cannibalistic feasts.

    Morgan also writes of Maori cultivating wheat during the 1840's. Also included is a letter from Morgan to Sir George Grey, Otawhao, 1849. Regarding the forwarding of an account of the war between the united tribes of Waikato and Tauranga with Rotorua. Index included at the back.

  • Other Id

    14685 (Presto content ID)

    MS-213-1 (Reference Number)

  • Department

Images and documents


  • Object Type
  • Name/Title
    Adventures of Early Missionaries, 1833-50
  • Primary Maker
  • Physical Description

    Typescript volume ; 73pp ; 350 mm x 220 mm

  • Language
  • Level of Current Record
  • Is Part Of
  • Public Access Text

    [Keywords: Musket Wars, New Zealand Wars, Te Tuma Pa, Columbine (Ship), Fortitude (Ship), Baptism, Amohau (Rangitira), Onematu (Rangitira), Pake (Rangitira), Taiepa (Rangitira), Takiwaru (Rangitira), Missionary Wives]

  • Subject Notes
    John Morgan arrived in New Zealand as a Catechist of the Church Missionary Society in 1833. He was first at Keri Keri, and then assisted with the foundation of nine new stations: Puriri at the Thames, 1833; Mangapouri on the Waipa, 1834; Tauranga, 1835; Matamata, 1835; Kaweranga in the Thames, 1837; the reformation of Rotorua Station on Mokoia Island during the war; and the removal of the Station to the mainland in 1839; and Otawhao from 1841 to 1864 In June, 1849, he was admitted to Deacon's Orders, and Priest's Orders in December, 1853.
  • Copyright
    No known copyright restrictions
  • Last Update
    07 Dec 2023
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.