The Goldfish Club: Roll of Honour, 1954 - 2003
Level of Current Record
The Goldfish Club was founded in Britain in November 1942 by Charles A. Robertson, who was at that time chief draughtsman of Messrs P.B. Cow & Co. Ltd, one of the largest manufacturers of Air Sea Rescue equipment in the world. It was formed as an exclusive club for wartime airmen who survived after being shot down or forced to ditch their aircraft into various bodies of water. Most of them owed their lives to the successful deployment and use of their rescue equipment. Eligible members were presented with a heat-sealed waterproof membership card and an embroidered badge (white-winged goldfish flying above two symbolic blue waves). The club derived its name from 'Gold for the value of life. Fish for the sea.' By war's end the club had grown to 9000 members. In 2003 this membership was down to about 600 worldwide. During the 1950s a New Zealand chapter was formed in Auckland.
Donated by the Goldfish Club, New Zealand Branch, in 2003.
07 Jul 2023
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.