The martyrdom of Kereopa and Manihera.
- 95x3/178 (Accession Number)
- Print A58(11) (Reference Number)
20.5 x 31 cm
- Refer bibliography Number 54, page 112 on Te Manihera Poutama in "The people of many peaks, 1769 - 1869" New Zealand Collection Reference DU 402 for a description of the events depicted.
- Reference to this print in "Portraits of the famous and infamous" General Reserve DU 402, page 219, which verifies Angas as the artist.
- For cultural reasons, copying or reproducing this item requires specific permission. Please contact us for more information. (Copyright)
- See pictorial staff (Access Notes)
The martyrdom of Kereopa and Manihera.,[c1856],Print A58(11)
- Print published in "Illustrations of missionary scenes, an offering to youth" Volume 1, page 14, plate 12 (verified in Ellis).
- Ambush occurred in 1947 between Wairiki and Tokaanu, killing Manihera and Kereopa, who were missionaries for the Pai Mairire faith, as utu for tribal disputes.
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.