Sketch design for jardiniere
- 93/37 (Accession Number)
- PD-1993-37 (Reference Number)
Richard O. Gross. F.R.B.S.S. Sculptor. 21/5/47 (bottom right corner) (Signature)
36 x 55 cm.
- Copy of the jardiniere in Applied Arts Dept.
- Bronze jardiniere, M2628.1-3 Auckland Museum.
- No Known Copyright Restrictions (Copyright)
- Access by appointment (Access Notes)
Sketch design for jardiniere,PD-1993-37
- Richard Gross was a prolific Auckland sculptor whose work included the equestrian statue for the Wellington War Memorial, the bronze figure surmounting the Auckland Grammar School War Memorial and the designs of the friezes around the Auckland Museum building.
- The jardiniere was made by Gross in 1948 as a wedding gift to Queen Elizabeth II from the combined Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch branches of the Royal Empire Society. Gross made a copy of the jardiniere for his own record and this copy was purchased by the Auckland Museum in 1992 along with the sketch design.
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.