[Row of buildings on City street showing Steer's Hotel and City Mart.]
PH-ALB-299-p15-2 (Reference Number)
Sepia toned image of a row of brick and weatherboard buildings facing onto a gravel street. A crowd of people are gathered in the lower right corner of the image in front of a corner site building with a sign reading 'CITY MART' visible at the top of the first floor. At the top of the gorund floor is a sign reading 'W.GRAHAM'. Above the doorway is a sign reading 'GENERAL IMPORTERS'. Stock and signs advertising stock are visible in the windows. To the left of this building is a large building with a sign reading 'STEER'S HOTEL'. The row of shops continue to the left of the image. Street lamps and a horse drawn carriage are visible on the street.
92mmx175mm(image and support)
Auckland City, Auckland. (Place of occurrence)
Albumen silver print
Support: Fibre based paper
- Queen St + High St''
- ASSURANCE COMPANY
- pg 34 of associated red leather 'GUARDIAN
- Side 1 of 'AUCKLAND SAVAGE CLUB' A4 sheet of paper found in back of album. Handwritten in black ink '29. Shortland St South Side between
- LIMITED' notebook. Handwritten in black ink '30+ 31 Shortland St S. Side from Queen St'
- Digital copy available (Access Notes)
[Row of buildings on City street showing Steer's Hotel and City Mart.],Unknown, photographer,1860s,PH-ALB-299-p15-2
- Handwritten in pencil to the left of the image 'Negative no. C.90
Images and documents
The development of the Auckland War Memorial Museum online collection is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.