- Position title:
- Head of Documentary Heritage
- Documentary Heritage
- Contact Catherine
As Head of the Documentary Heritage I manage the team responsible for the Museum’s word and image collections which includes paintings and drawings, photographs, manuscripts, archives and library collections. We collect, care for and connect recorded memories to spark inquiry and meaning, working with a collection of national and international significance.
My research interests centre around Aotearoa New Zealand art histories, the relationship between contemporary art and archives, and the development of user-centred collection access for cultural heritage collections in both physical and online spaces.
Selected research projects
The Complete Frances Hodgkins
Find New Zealand Artists
Whakamīharo Lindauer Online
- Hammond, Catherine and Mary Kisler (eds.) (2019). Frances Hodgkins: European Journeys. Auckland: Auckland University Press and London: Thames & Hudson.
- Hammond, Catherine (managing ed.) (2007-2018). Reading Room: A Journal of Art and Culture. Auckland: E H McCormick Research Library, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki.
- Hammond, Catherine (2016). Escaping the digital black hole: e-ephemera in two Auckland art libraries. Art Libraries Journal 41(2): 107-114.
- Hillary, Sarah L., Hammond, Catherine., Kisler, Mary., and Silvester, Genevieve. (2015). Frances Hodgkins: Forgotten Still Life. Auckland: Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki.
- Hillary, Sarah L., Learner, Tom., Khanjian, Herant., Campbell, Katherine., Carlisle, Melanie., McBride, Caroline., Hammond, Catherine., Cooke, Ian. (2014). Modern Paints Aotearoa. Auckland: Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki.
- Brownson, Ron (ed.) and Catherine Hammond (managing ed.). Art Toi: New Zealand Art at Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki (2011).