Also known as
WWII 40930 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW2 Pre 1941 AWMM 23 Melrose St., Upper Lower Hutt AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW2 Mrs M.E. Ayto, 23 Melrose St., Upper Hutt (w) AWMM
28 June 1942 AWMM
- WW2 POW - Oflag 79, near Braunschweigh (formerly O.8F) 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 2317 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember John Ayto by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 4 (Embarkations from 1st April, 1941 to 30 June, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- Borman, C. (1954). Divisional Signals. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.