William Arthur AWMM
Also known as
WWII 410189 AWMM
Images and documents
(PDF, 5.66 MB)
Biographical Details - compiled by Peter Nightingale
Public - Online Cenotaph - Researcher - 29 February 2016 - Military Personnel File, Family members, Wright, M. 'Pacific War', Hutching, M. (ed.) 'Against the Rising Sun: New Zealanders remembering the Pacific War.'
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW2 109 Yarrow Street, Invercargill AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW2 Mrs. M. Johnson (mother), Alva Bank, Queenstown AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Private Public - Peter - Other relative - 8 March 2016 - Military Personnel file
- Son of Margaret Maria Matilda Johnson (Source:Cenotaph Data Entry Form)
Served in the Pacific : New Hebrides, Guadalcanal, Vella Lavella, Treasury Islands, Nissan Islands (Source:Cenotaph Data Entry Form) AWMM
- Arthur married Jessie McGown Richardson in Wellington on the 26th January 1961. They had two daughters - Rhona and Elean, they were the pride and joy for their parents.
The family moved from Wellington to Levin. From 1962-1972 Arthur worked as a driver / salesman for Farmers Trading Company. He also worked as a cashier at the Horowhenua Power Board.
Jessie, Arthur's wife was born in Scotland. Jessie and Arthur had two trips overseas in 1984 and 1987 which included an exciting return to Jessie's native country - Scotland. Jessie died 14 November 1996 in Levin.
Arthur was also able to travel with his daughter, Rhona, together they travelled to USA and the the United Kingdom in 1998.
In later life Arthur took a keen interest in family history and gave fine eulogies of relatives who had passed away.
Family remember Arthur as a straightforward man and he is fondly remembered for his loyalty and hard work in helping others. Public - Peter - Other relative - 8 March 2016 - Daughter, Rhona Johnson; cousin Peter Nightingale. Military Personnel Record; books - Wright, M. Pacific War; Hutching, M. (ED.) Against the Rising Sun - New Zealanders Remember the Pacific War.
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Avenue Cemetery, Avenue North Road, Levin, New Zealand AWMM RSA Block, no 631 AWMM
Death Notice: Dominion Post, 9 June 2015 AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William Arthur Johnson by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
William Arthur Johnson
- Cenotaph data entry form AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 9 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1942 to 31st December, 1942). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Information kindly provided by family AWMM
|08 March 2016||Peter||Auckland||Other relative||
|29 February 2016||Online Cenotaph||NZ||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.