William Farquharson AWMM
Also known as
WWI 38799 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Mrs W. Bey (mother), Greytown (North), New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Son of Dr. William and Eveline D'Ainslie Bey, of Greytown.
"Killed in action on August 25th, 1917 [sic], enlisted as a private in the 1st Battalion Otago Regiment, and left with the 25th Reinforcements. Before his death he had attained the rank of Sergeant, and the same morning had taken part in a stunt to capture a certain objective close to Bapaume, when he was mortally wounded by a bursting shell. As he was brought in to R.A.P. he gradually but quietly sank, and was buried near the village of Biefvillers close to the scene of his last fight. He studied electrical engineering in Wellington after leaving school, but later relinquished it in order to farm the ‘Springbank’ Estate, Gladstone. His demeanour under the most trying conditions was always excellent. He knew no fear, and died as he had lived, a brave man, caring for nothing but the knowledge that he had done his duty." (In Memoriam, 1914-1918 [Wanganui Collegiate School]) AWMM
- William Bey's father - Dr William Bey was born at Tarland, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He emigrated to New Zealand - aboard 'Hurunui' - in 1880. Dr William Bey was for many years the surgeon at Greytown Hospital, Wairarapa. Dr Bey died of influenza - November 1918 - during the New Zealand Influenza Epidemic - 3 months after the death of his only son at France. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 11 February 2017 - Papers Past (National Library of New Zealand); 'Wairarapa Daily Times'; Volume 44; Issue 13689; 14 November 1918 ; "Death of Dr Bey".
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Papers Past (National Library of New Zealand); 'Evening Post'; Volume XCVI; Issue 75; 25 September 1918. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 11 February 2017 - Papers Past (National Library of New Zealand); 'Evening Post'; Volume XCVI; Issue 75; 25 September 1918.
Maungaraki War Memorial (1914-1918) - at Gladstone, Wairarapa. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 11 February 2017 - Maungaraki War Memorial, Gladstone, Wairarapa.
- Grevillers (New Zealand) Memorial, Grevillers British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France AWMM
- Memorial gates, Greytown Soldiers Memorial Park, Kuratawhiti Street, Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand AWMM
- Memorial trees, 117 lime trees, Avenue of Remembrance, Greytown Soldiers Memorial Park, Kuratawhiti Street, Greytown, Wairarapa, New Zealand AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William Farquharson Bey by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
William Farquharson Bey
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1918). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume III. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
62: 19 AWMM
- In Memoriam, 1914-1918. (1919).Wanganui, N.Z.: Collegiate School. AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
|11 February 2017||Jenifer||Wairarapa New Zealand||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.