Also known as
WWI 22/537 AWMM
16 March 1892 Military Personnel file Military personnel file
Date of birth
Place of birth
Daughter of Albert and Ada (nee Gordon) Everett of Nelson. Public - Jenifer - Other relative - 13 December 2015 - Family Papers
Address before enlistment
WW1 Pokororo, Nelson, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
- WW1 A. Everett (father), Pokororo, Nelson, New Zealand AWMM
- Albert Everett (father) - apple orchardist Pokororo, Motueka District, Nelson, New Zealand. Public - Jenifer - Other relative - 13 December 2015 - Family Papers
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Daughter of Ada and Albert Everett. Twin sister of Claire Everett (22/538).
Posted to NZGH No. 2 Walton-on-Thames.
Embarked for NZ on the Briton 17 June 1919.
Seven children served from the same family in WW1: three sisters were serving as nurses Claire (22/538) and Dorothy (22/537), and Viola (AIF ); three brothers George Gordon Everett, Gerald Gordon Everett(2/215) Frank Gordon Everett (2/2117) and step-brother, Ralph Watson served as soldiers. AWMM
- After returning to Nelson, NZ after the end of World War 1, Dorothy and her twin sister Claire(they had nursed together in England) travelled to San Francisco, USA, where they both continued their nursing careers. Claire met and married Frederick (Fred) Strathdee, who was Scotland born. Fred had been recruited by a Canadian Bank. He remained in banking all his life. Claire and Fred had 3 children.
Dorothy never married but remained close to Claire and her family. When Fred retired he and Claire moved to Victoria, on Vancouver Island, Canada. Dorothy returned to Nelson, NZ where she died in 1966. Public - Jenifer - Other relative - 17 March 2016 - Family Papers
Roll of Honour
Remember Dorothy Everett by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume IV. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
88: 16 AWMM
- Service Women Project: Sponsorship to research this record was kindly provided by the Auckland Returned Services Association, Returned Servicewomen's Branch; Marjorie Traill, Dorothy Grant, Daphne Shaw and Margaret Woollett. AWMM
- McNabb, S. (2015). 100 years New Zealand military nursing : New Zealand Army nursing service : Royal New Zealand Nursing Corps, 1915-2015. Hawke's Bay, N.Z.: Sherayl McNabb. AWMM
- Information kindly provided by family AWMM
|13 December 2015||Jenifer||Wairarapa NZ||Other relative||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.