Also known as
Date of birth
4 January 1922 Public - Caryl Lorraine - Researcher - 1 October 2019 - BDM 2018/33594 11/12/2018 Waaka, Wattie Watchman Te Wehi, DOB 4 January 1922, cited 1 October 2019.
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
- Unknown AWMM Care of F. Tatham, Homewood, Masterton, New Zealand AWMM
- Working as a shepherd on Homewood Station, Homewood, Masterton, owned by the Tatham family Public - Caryl Lorraine - Researcher - 1 October 2019 - local knowledge of Waaka family
Post war occupation
farmer Public - Caryl Lorraine - Researcher - 1 October 2019 - 1954 Hobson General Roll, page 256 Waaka, Watchman, Punakitere, farmer. Cited 1 October 2019
1978 Northern Maori Main Roll, page 100 WAAKA, Hukatai, H. Ninihi Road, Otaua, Married. (wife) cited 1 October 2019
WAAKA, Watchman, Ninihi Road, Hokianga, Farmer.
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs P.J. Waaka (wife), Care of Mrs J.A. Spring, Eketahuna R.D., New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Watchman Waaka by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- Soutar, M. (2008). Nga tama toa = The price of citizenship : C Company 28 (Maori) Battalion 1939-1945. Albany, N.Z.: David Bateman. AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1945). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 14 (Embarkations from 1st April, 1944 to 31st December, 1944). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 14: WW2 101 AWMM
- Gardiner, W. (2019). Ake ake kia kaha e! : Forever brave! : B Company 28 (Maori) Battalion, 1939-1945. Auckland : Bateman Books. AWMM
|01 October 2019||Caryl Lorraine||Tinui, Masterton, New Zealand||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.