Alfred Daniel AWMM
Also known as
WWII 13796 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW2 Pre Jul 1940 AWMM 101 Forfar Street, St Albans, Christchurch, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW2 Mrs I.G. Andreassend (wife), 101 Forfar Street, St Albans, Christchurch, New Zealand AWMM
El Alamein, Western Desert AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag IX-B, Bad Orb-Wegscheide, Hesse, Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 82336 AWMM
Husband of Ivy Georgina (nee Long) Andreassend.
Alf was wounded, losing his left eye and bridge of his nose, and taken prisoner during the Battle for Egypt in July 1942. In Italy and Germany he had the first of some 100 operations for plastic surgery that continued over years until a final operation at Middlemore Hospital about 1960. He died in 1964 aged 59.
Brothers Bert Victor Andreassend, Alfred Daniel Andreassend (13796) and Arthur Henry Andreassend (13787) served in WW2.
The Auckland War Memorial Museum has on display in 'Scars of War' in the 'Scars on the Heart' gallery a number of items belonging to Alfred Andreassend including tapestry and needlework he did while a prisoner in Germany, and while convalescing at East Grinstead Hospital in Britain. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Alfred Daniel Andreassend by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Alfred Daniel Andreassend
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 3 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1940 to 31st March, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 3: WW2 Unknown page AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- Norton, F. (1952). 26 Battalion. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
- Information kindly provided by family AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.