William David AWMM
Also known as
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM 239 Thorndon Quay, Wellington, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs Zealandia Mary Ainge (mother), 9 Sealy Street, Timaru, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 5 January 1940 AWMM Single AWMM
Crete, Greece List of 2NZEF POW (MS 2009/8)
- WW2 POW - Stalag 383, Hohenfels, Bavaria, Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 21202 AWMM
Son of William Gilbert Horace Ainge and of Zealandia Mary Ainge (nee Kerr), of Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand.
Five sons, brothers served in WW2: Russell Williden Kerr Ainge (800105), Alan Oswald Ainge (43769) died of wounds, Joseph (Joe) John Ainge (45239); William David Ainge (4423) and Raymond george Ainge (NZ436128) RNZAF and RNZNVR (UK).
Address of next of kin on the Nominal Roll is given as Celia Street, Timaru AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember William David Ainge by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
William David Ainge
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 1 (Embarkations to 31st March, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 1: WW2 6 AWMM
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- Henderson, J. (1954). RMT: official history of the 4th and 6th Reserve Mechanical Transport Companies. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.