Walter Russell AWMM
Also known as
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM 17 Mains Avenue, Whangarei, North Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mr Len Adams (father), 17 Mains Avenue, Whangarei, North Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 5 January 1940 AWMM Single AWMM
1 February 1941 AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag VIII-A, Gorlitz, Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 32146 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Walter Russell Adams by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Walter Russell Adams
Walter Adams was my grandfather. He was a prisoner of war, captured in Libya in 1941. Released Germany 1945. Served with the Long Range Desert Group as a mechanic/driver. He has 7 grand children and 11 great grandchildren. He was born on 1st August 1918 and died on 30th April 1984.
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 1 (Embarkations to 31st March, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 1: WW2 5 AWMM
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- L.R.D.G. Membership Roll February 1970. Long Range Desert Group (N.Z. Association). Auckland Museum EPH-W2-11-27. AWMM
- O'Carroll, B. (2000). The Kiwi scorpions : the story of the New Zealanders in the Long Range Desert Group. Devon, England: Token Publishing. AWMM
- O'Carroll, B. (2005). Barce raid : the Long Range Desert Group's greatest escapade. Wellington, N.Z.: Ngaio Press. AWMM
- Loughnan, R. (1963). Divisional Cavalry. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.