Ronald Benjamin AWMM
Also known as
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Bell Street, Thames, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs R.C. Lukey (wife), Bell Street, Thames, New Zealand AWMM
22 July 1942 AWMM
With 24 Battalion AWMM
22 July 1942 AWMM
- WW2 POW - Stalag VIII-C, Kunau Kzz Sprottau/Sagan, Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 32180 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Ronald Benjamin Lukey by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Ronald Benjamin Lukey
Dad returned from the War and settled in Panmure Auckland where he had a long standing involvement with the RSA. He was a Caretaker at Glen Innes Primary School for many years. He was deafened by the torpedo explosion of the prisoner of war ship (we understand it was the Nino Bixio?)
after being captured in North Africa. He spent a period as a prisoner of war in Italy we think.
He had a great interest in race horses as a punter. Liked his beer. Saw the weddings of his three children Susan, Helen and Christopher. And a number of his grandchildren before passing with cancer at Auckland Hospital.
We would welcome any further information anyone could contribute to our knowledge of our fathers life.
Thanking you. Sue Walker
Public - Susan Elizabeth Walker - Child - 22 January 2017
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1942). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 5 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1941 to 30 September, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 5: WW2 127 AWMM
- Fortune, G. & Bebich, M. (2008). Citizenship and remembrance : a history of the 24 NZ Infantry Battalion Association. Auckland, N.Z.: Polygraphia. AWMM
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
|22 January 2017||Susan Elizabeth Walker ||Nelson South Island||Child||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.