POW liberation details
POW serial number
Husband of Ellen Cook, father of Bessie.
Herbert Francis Cook was Skipper of SS Hananui II which was a whale chaser based in Whangamumu, Northland, New Zealand. The vessel was chartered by the New Zealand Government in 1918 for minesweeping and the crew including Cook were provided with the charter. They were assisted by Royal Australian Naval Brigade (RANB) which was responsible for exploding the discovered mines that had previously been laid by the German raider Wolf.
Names variously ordered as Francis Herbert Cook or Herbert Francis Cook. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Herbert Francis Cook by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Herbert Francis Cook
- London Gazette.
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography.
- Births, Deaths and Marriages (New Zealand) Historical Records online
- Probate, Auckland Regional Office
- Death notice: Auckland Star, Volume LXV, Issue 308, 29 December 1934, Page 1
- Heather E. Lindauer. 'Cook, Herbert Francis - Biography', first published in the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, now on Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand
- Te Ara. Whaler Herbert Francis Cook, his wife Ellen and daughter Bessie, 1890s. (Russell Museum, Reference: 1812 Photograph)
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.