William Henry AWMM
Also known as
WWI 11394 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Joseph Braithwaite (father), Matakana, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Braithwaite, of Matakana, North Auckland, New Zealand.
William Braithwaite is commemorated on the Matakana District war memorial. The inscription reads: 'This monument was erected by public subscription as a thanksgiving to almighty God for peace and victory and in memory of the men of this district who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. Their Duty Nobly Done. December 1919' AWMM
- William Henry was the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (nee Stacpoole) Braithwaite, orchardists of Matakana. Joseph was an Alberlander and an early settler in Matakana, born in England, he arrived in NZ on the “Gertude” in 1863.
William Henry was born on the family farm in Matakana on 26th February 1885. He was the only son of Joseph and Elizabeth and was named after both his Grandfathers. The Braithwaite family tree includes many pioneer families of the Rodney District - Stacpoole, Carran, Wilmot and Pulham.
At the turn of the century and early in his adult life he enlisted and served with the Rodney Mounted Rifles, which was disbanded around 1908.
On 11 January 1916 at the age of 30 and working on the Family farm he enlists for service with the 12th Reinforcements, Auckland Infantry Battalion, A Company.
He arrived on the battlefields of France on the 20 September 1916 and was killed during the Battle of the Somme on the 27th - 7 days of living hell.
He is buried at the Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, France and remembered on the Matakana War Memorial. WE WILL REMEMBER HIM. Public - Matakana - Researcher - 3 October 2017 - Military Personnel Files, NZ Archives, NZ Papers Past.
- Matakana War Memorial (King George war memorial statue), Matakana Wharf Reserve, Matakana Road, Matakana, New Zealand AWMM
- Roll of Honour, Loyal Warkworth Pioneer Lodge M.U.I.O.O.C., Warkworth & District Museum, Warkworth AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William Henry Braithwaite by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
William Henry Braithwaite
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
30: 2 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
|10 January 2017||Adrienne||Matakana, North Auckland, New Zealand||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.