Also known as
- Taura AWMM
- Terekia Taura AWMM
- Taura Tukina AWMM
- Taura AWMM
WWI 16/1202 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Tuakina (father), Atiu, Rarotonga, Cook Islands, Pacific Islands AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Died of Sickness, Cause of Death AWMM
Died of sickness AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
6' 1" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
185 lb AWMM
Son of Tuakina Atiu, of Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Listed as 'Pte Taura T' on Cook Islands Roll of Honour Board at RSA Rarotonga. Source: WW1 NZEF ANZAC Soldiers Research Project.
No. 2 New Zealand General Hospital, Mount Felix, Walton. (see vertical files (Hospitals, Military), Armoury Information Centre, Auckland War Memorial Museum)
Embarked, 4 February 1916; disembarked Suez, 15 March 1916.
Proceeded overseas to France, 9 April 1916.
Admitted to No 3 Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 19 October 1916; transferred No 3 General Hospital, Boulogne, 20 October 1916; to England, 3 November 1916, and admitted to No 2 NZ General Hospital, Walton-on-Thames, 4 November 1916; listed as 'seriously ill', No 2 NZ Hospital, Walton on Thames (tuberculous glands lung).
Died, No 2 NZ General Hospital, Walton-on-Thames, 7 January 1917 (tubercular glands, neck). AWMM
7 January 1917 AWMM
Age 23 AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Screen wall. 909, Walton and Weybridge (Walton-on-Thames) Cemetery, Surrey, England AWMM
- Cook Islands Roll of Honour Board, RSA Rarotonga AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Taura Tukinga by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
25: 3 AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 3: Includes portrait AWMM
- Weddell, H. (2016). Soldiers from the Pacific : the story of Pacific Island soldiers in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in World War One. Wellington, New Zealand : Defence of New Zealand Study Group. AWMM
- Soutar, M. (2019). Whitiki! Whiti! Whiti! E!: Maori In the First World War. New Zealand: David Bateman Ltd. AWMM
- ‘Finding Our Way Back to Atiu’, Parts 1 -4, Cook Islands Television News/Cook Islands WW1 NZEF ANZAC Soldiers Research Project, 2019 AWMM
- This record was partially compiled from information kindly provided by Bobby Nicholas, Paula Paniani and Cate Walker, Cook Islands WW1 NZEF ANZAC Soldiers Research Project AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.