Andrew Stevenson AWMM
Also known as
WWI 12/886 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Pakuranga, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Andrew S. Thompson (father), Pakuranga, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 16 October 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
Medals and Awards
- 1914-1915 Star AWMM
Meritorious Service Medal - London Gazette, 1 January 1917, p55, Rec No 494: "For gallantry and devotion to duty. He was wounded near Flers on September 27th 1916, while endeavouring to obtain some information on the situation at a certain place, that was urgently wanted. During the whole time he has been with the Battalion he has done consistently good work." AWMM
- British War Medal (1914-1920) AWMM
Mentioned in Despatches - London Gazette, 28 December 1917, p13575, Rec No 1119: "On the 13th June 1917, when the situation was very obscure he boldly led his patrol into the enemy's sector under heavy fire of all calibers, obtained and sent back very useful information, established and held an important position against strong bombing attacks until reinforced, thereby ensuring the success of subsequent operations that day. He has at all times done excellent work and shown a splendid example of devotion to duty." AWMM
- Victory Medal with oak leaf AWMM
- Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
Wounded at Gallipoli AWMM
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
Andrew Thompson was the son of A. S. and M. J. Thompson, of Panmure, Auckland, New Zealand. Native of Pakuranga, Auckland.
Appears to have been named two panels of the Howick & Pakuranga War Memorial AWMM
- Howick and Pakuranga War Memorial, Stockade Hill, Howick, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- Howick Roll of Honour AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Andrew Stevenson Thompson by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Andrew Stevenson Thompson
In Memory of a truely brave man.
My relationship to Andrew Thompson is through my Grandfather.
He was his Uncle.
Public - Joshua David - Other Relative - 21 April 2015
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 720 AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2020). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-5). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 1: Includes portrait AWMM
|21 April 2015||Joshua David||Auckland, New Zealand||Other Relative||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.