Also known as
WWI 16/1177 AWMM
1894 Military personnel file Alofi
, Niue Military personnel file
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW1 Pre 25 September 1915 AWMM Alofi, Niue Island, Pacific Islands AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 Siline (mother), Alofi, Niue Island, Pacific Islands AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- 29 September 1915 AWMMHeight, WWI AWMM
5 foot 7.5 inches AWMM
- 29 September 1915 AWMMWeight, WWI AWMM
169 pounds AWMM
- Died of Sickness, Cause of Death AWMM
Son of Aitagi, of Alofi, Niue Island, New Zealand.
Departed Alofi, Niue Island on 14 October 1915 on board SS Te Anau along with his brother 16/1069 Lui (Pointer 2000, p. 16).
Arrived Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand on 19 October 1915 (Pointer 2000, p. 18).
Sailed from Port Said, Egypt, to Marseilles, France, on board SS Canada on 9 April 1916. (Pointer 2000, p. 173)
"Soon after the arrival of the men from France 16/1177 Private Vasau of Alofi was hospitalized with pneumonia and placed on the dangerously ill list. He died at the depot hospital at Hornchurch on 11 June 1916 and two days later the first Niuean burial took place with the service in St Andrew's Church. The church diary records the burial of 'Private Vasau, a Christian soldier from Niue Island, one of the South Sea Islands, attached to the New Zealand Contingent.'" (Pointer 2000, p. 50)
Private Vasau was buried on 13 June 1916. Because of a shortage of space in the churchyard, he lies in a shared grave with Private Moki. (Pointer 2000, p. 183 n16)
He is listed in the register of Burials in the Parish of Hornchurch, Essex, 1916, No. 1346, p. 169. AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
- Alofi National Memorial, Niue AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Vasau by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
25: 4 AWMM
- Pointer, M. (2000). Tagi tote e loto haaku - My heart is crying a little : Niue Island involvement in the Great War, 1914-1918. Alofi, Niue ; Suva, Fiji: Government of Niue ; Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific. AWMM
pp. 16, 18, 50, 53, 54, 94, 130, 134, 171, 173, 183 n16. AWMM
- Pointer, M. (2015). Niue 1774-1974 : 200 years of conflict and change. Dunedin, New Zealand : Otago University Press. AWMM
- Weddell, H. (2016). Soldiers from the Pacific : the story of Pacific Island soldiers in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in World War One. Wellington, New Zealand : Defence of New Zealand Study Group. AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 4: Includes portrait AWMM
- Soutar, M. (2019). Whitiki! Whiti! Whiti! E!: Maori In the First World War. New Zealand: David Bateman Ltd. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.