POW liberation details
POW serial number
Listed in Roll of Honour of The ANZAC Battalion.
Haere Hirini resided in Kawerau and was buried at Kawerau. Memorial Flag - Presented to brother.
Private Hirini's brothers Mr Leslie Hirini of Hamilton and Mr Patrick Hirini of Tauranga, received the New Zealand Operational Service Medal on his behalf from the Prime Minister and the Minister of Defence at a presentation at the Auckland War Memorial Museum on Thursday 27 November 2003
Killed in Action - Gunshot wound left shoulder. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Kawerau Cemetery, Kawerau, New Zealand AWMM
New Zealand Herald 3 February 1968 s1, p1. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Haere Desmond Hirini by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Haere Desmond Hirini
- Newman, K. (Ed.). 1995. The ANZAC Battalion. Swanbourne, W.A.: John Burridge Military Antiques. AWMM
- Subritsky, M. (Ed). (1995). The Vietnam scrapbook: The second ANZAC adventure. Papakura, N.Z.: Three Feathers Publishing Co. AWMM
- Gurr, Robert M. (1995). Voices from a border war : a history of 1 Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment, 1963 to 1965. Melbourne, Vic.: Robert Gurr. AWMM
- Pugsley, C. (2003). From emergency to confrontation: the New Zealand armed forces in Southeast Asia, 1949-1966. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. AWMM
- H.E. Chamberlain, Nominal Roll – 1 RNZIR, 8 May 1964, in Gurr, Robert. (2009). Voices from a border war: Borneo 1963-1965. 2nd Edition. Christchurch, N.Z.: Wilson Scott Publishing, pp.139-150 AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.