Date of birth
Place of birth
Son of Arthur Merritt Beale, and of Emma Reremoana Beale, of Te Puia Springs. Public - Lorraine M - Researcher - 4 January 2016 - http://www.nzwargraves.org.nz/casualties/heathcote-huia-butler-beale
Address before enlistment
Te Puia Springs, East Coast Public - Lorraine M - Researcher - 4 January 2016 - http://www.nzwargraves.org.nz/casualties/heathcote-huia-butler-beale
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs Emma R. Williams (mother), Puketiki Station, Te Puia Springs, Gisborne, New Zealand AWMM
- Son of Arthur Merritt Beale and Emma R. Beale of Te Puia Springs.
Joined the RAF in January 1941
Squadron Leader Beale was a prisoner of war, although the place and dates are unknown.
Next of kin details compiled from information in the Casualty lists published in the newspapers. AWMM
- DESERT AERODROME, EGYPT - Sept 1942 - Flight-Lieutenant H. H. Beale, of Gisborne, has undertaken more than 40 operational flights over Egypt since March. Twenty of these flights he made with Flight-Lieutenant Neil Blundell, of Wellington, as navigator. Flt-Lt Beale is now proceeding to a training school for a term as instructor. He has two brothers in the 2nd N.Z.E.F., and has been fortunate enough to meet them several times since their arrival in this country from England in February Public - Lorraine M - Researcher - 4 January 2016 - New Zealand Herald, 30 September 1942
- From my For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998):
Mon 3/Tue 4 Apr 1944
MEDITERRANEAN ALLIED AIR FORCES
Raid on the Manfred Weiss works at Budapest, Hungary (by 87 aircraft - 5 lost)
37 Squadron, RAF (Tortorella [Foggia No 2], Italy - 231 Wing, 205 Group, Mediterranean Allied Strategic Air Force)
Wellington X LN853 - took off at 2043 and shot down by a night-fighter over Hungary, crashing on the farm of Bukajlo Tanja of Rac Almas, about 3km north of Duna Pentele (at position 4700N:1856E), at 2330. Three of the crew died in the crash, their bodies being buried at Duna Pentele, but later reinterred in Budapest. Their three comrades baled out and were taken prisoner, the RAF second pilot and the wireless operator being unhurt. However, the captain, retrieved from the River Danube in which he had landed, was found to be critically injured with a broken back. He was transported south some 250km to the German Military Hospital in Semlin (aka Zemun), 6km WNW of Belgrade, where he died on the 8th. Although a Catholic priest later stated he had buried the airman in the civilian cemetery at Semlin, after hostilities it proved impossible to find the unmarked grave. The captain’s name is therefore commemorated on the Malta Memorial.
Captain: NZ41465 Sqn Ldr Heathcote Huia Butler BEALE, DFC*, RNZAF - Age 27. 920hrs. 65th op.
Beale was well into his second tour, his first, also in the Mediterranean theatre, being flown with 104 Sqn, RAF. Public - Jenifer - Researcher - 13 December 2018 - Information Credit : Wings Over New Zealand Aviation Forum
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Sqd/Ldr. H. H. Beale, D.F.C. and bar, of Te Puia Springs, died while prisoner of war. Public - Lorraine M - Researcher - 4 January 2016 - Auckland Weekly News
Tokomaru Bay War Memorial
Tokomaru Bay Memorial Gates
Gisborne's War Memorial Public - Lorraine M - Researcher - 4 January 2016 - Research
- Malta Memorial, Malta AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 2 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Heathcote Huia Butler Beale by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Heathcote Huia Butler Beale
- The Evening Post AWMM
- Martyn, E. (1998-2008). For Your Tomorrow (Vols. 1-3). Christchurch, N.Z.: Volplane Press. AWMM
- henry neil blundell photos malta 42 harry beale Public - michael neil - 31 July 2016 - my father h n blundell
|13 December 2018||Jenifer||Wairarapa||Researcher||
|31 July 2016||michael neil||new zealand ||Other||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.