Ronald William AWMM
Also known as
WWII NZ413944 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Son of Thomas and Nan Lornie, of Auckland, New Zealand; husband of D. M. Lornie, of Auckland.
As a past pupil of Meadowbank School, Waiatarua Road, Remuera, Auckland, Ronald Lornie is commemorated on the World War 2 memorial in the school. A short biography of twenty pupils who died in the war has been compiled by Erica Cowan and is held in the Museum Library Archive (reference MS 94/27)
Remembered on the Takapuna War Memorial, The Strand, Takapuna. AWMM
- Taking off from RAF Bradwell Bay in Essex at 16:10 hrs to carry out an anti-shipping strike at Nieuwesluis but for some reason P/O. Lorne who was flying as number two to the Squadron Commanding officer both flew south to attack gun positions at Breskens.
It is understood that he was hit by flak and turned away to the North Sea but then suddenly dived into the Westerschelde and was killed. His body was recovered by a vessel for the Kriegsmarine and then buried at location shown below. Public - kelvin - Researcher - 20 October 2017 - http://aircrewremembered.com/lornie-ronald-william.html
- Meadowbank School World War 2 Memorial, Waiatarua Road, Remuera, Auckland AWMM
- Auckland Grammar School War Memorial, New Zealand AWMM
- Takapuna War Memorial, The Strand, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- Takapuna War Memorial, (ex RSA Roll, on a boulder), The Strand, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
- RAF Bradwell Bay Memorial, Bradwell Airfield, Essex, UK. Public - Philip - Researcher - 10 July 2018 - Parish records and new addition to the memorial.
Roll of Honour
Remember Ronald William Lornie by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Ronald William Lornie
I “adopted” the grave and going to visit it and bring flowers..
Public - Margreet - 4 December 2017
Martyn, E. (1998-2008). For Your Tomorrow (Vols. 1-3). Christchurch, N.Z.: Volplane Press. AWMM
Vol.3, p.305 AWMM
|10 July 2018||Philip||Bradwell on Sea, UK||Researcher||
|04 December 2017||Margreet||Netherlands||Other||
|20 October 2017||kelvin||Norfolk, England||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.