Frederick Stuart AWMM
Also known as
- WWI 10/2015 AWMM
- WWII 4863 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
Gassed during WW1 AWMM
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWII AWMM
Wounded 1941 and evacuated to New Zealand AWMM
Husband of Dorothy Nellie (nee Knight) Varnham.
Stuart Varnham was commissioned on 2 April 1911 and was part of the 4th Reinforcements to leave New Zealand. He was promoted to Captain in March 1917 and to Staff Captain in October 1918. He returned to New Zealand in July 1919.
He rejoined the Territorials in 1925 as Captain of 1 Battalion, Wellington West Coast Regiment. He was promoted to Major, Taranaki Regiment in 1929 and to Lieutenant Colonel, Taranaki Regiment, in 1935. During this period he was awarded the Efficiency Decoration.
When World War 2 broke out he sailed with the First Echelon as Commanding Officer of 19 Wellington Battalion. He served in Greece and was evacuated wounded.
He returned to New Zealand in December 1941.
He was also Commander 7 Army Tank Brigade (NZ) 1942 until May 1943
He set up Home Guard Units in Area 8 (Taranaki). He was seconded to command 7 Infantry Brigade in 1942.
He preferred to use the name Stuart in daily life.
Most of Varnham's military memorabilia has been donated to the Army Museum, Waiouru, the Taranaki / West Coast Wellington Regimental HQ, Wanganui and also to the Alexander Turnbull Library AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember Frederick Stuart Varnham by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Frederick Stuart Varnham
I am trying to contact the owner of the Stuart Varnham photographs to get a better quality image for reproduction.
I am especially interested in the group on the docks at Alexandria in Egypt.
Public - Julia - Researcher - 23 June 2016
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 743 AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 1 (Embarkations to 31st March, 1940). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
WW2 1: WW2 186 AWMM
- Varnham, Frederick Stuart. Diaries 1915-1944. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2002/62 AWMM
Typescript (photocopy) of diary 1915-1919, pp. 1-161 plus index. This is a detailed account of Varnham's activities; the names of many individuals - both military personnel and civilians - are mentioned throughout the diary. AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 2: Includes portrait AWMM
|23 June 2016||Julia||Eastbourne NZ||Researcher||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.