Norman Thomas AWMM
Also known as
WWI 8/517 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Unknown AWMM Care of P. Allen, North Invercargill, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Peter Allen, Sydney Street, Invercargill, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 16 October 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Killed in Action, Cause of Death AWMM
- Height, WWI AWMM
5' 7.5" AWMM
- Weight, WWI AWMM
147 lb AWMM
Son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Allen, of Invercargill, Southland.
Was wounded in action, recovered and returned to the front. Killed in action at the Apex during the August Offensive. Was reported missing on 8 August 1915.
Embarked Alexandria to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, Gallipoli, 12 April 1915.
Wounded (bayonet wound, right buttock), and admitted to HS 'Gascony', 1-3 May 1915, and transferred to Egypt.
Attached to strength of Advanced Base Depot, Mustapha, 23 May 1915.
Embarked Alexandria for Dardanelles, 6 June 1915; rejoined unit, 10 June 1915.
Reported missing, 8 August 1915.
Board of Enquiry, held at Moascar Camp, Ismailia, 20 January 1916, concluded 'Believed to be killed'. AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Chunuk Bair (New Zealand) Memorial, Chunuk Bair Cemetery, Gallipoli, Turkey AWMM
- Invercargill Cenotaph, Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Norman Thomas Allen by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Norman Thomas Allen
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1914-1919). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Volume I. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
Vol1: 11 AWMM
- Stowers, R. (2005). Bloody Gallipoli: the New Zealanders' story. Auckland, N.Z.: David Bateman. AWMM
- NZEF Peter Dennis, UNSW Canberra AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.