Maurice Edward AWMM
Also known as
25 April 1916 AWMM AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 1940 AWMM 7 Merivale Avenue, Epsom, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mr H.J. Daniel (father), 9 Bloomfield Road, Epsom, Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 8 November 1940 AWMM Single AWMM
- WW2 POW - Oflag VI-B Eichstadt AWMM
Apr 1941-29 April 1945 AWMM
Captured in Retreat in Southern Greece AWMM
- WW2 POW - Greece List of 2NZEF POW (MS 2009/8)
List of 2NZEF POW (MS 2009/8)
- WW2 POW - Oflag IX-A/Z, Rottenburg, Germany 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
Germany, Europe 2NZEF, Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. N.Z. 1945.
WW2 29 April 1945 AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
WWII 107 AWMM
Married Joan Frances Taylor who also served during World War II.
Mr Daniel was in POW camps between 1941 and 1945 and was eventually released by Americans. The listed POW camp is the last camp he was in.
8 November 1940. The First Section of the 4th Reinforcements of 2 NZEF (83 officers and 1404 other ranks) embarked at Wellington for the Middle East in Batory and Maunganui.The troops transferred to the Orion at Sydney and arrived at Port Tewfik on 16 December 1940. From 'CHRONOLOGY New Zealand in the War 1939-1946' compiled by Robin Kay, 1968. AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember Maurice Edward Daniel by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
Maurice Edward Daniel
- List of 2NZEF Prisoners of War. 1941-1945. Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2009/8. AWMM
- Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. (1941). Nominal Roll Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force No. 3 (Embarkations from 1st July, 1940 to 31st March, 1941). Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
- Great Britain Army. (1945). Germany and German occupied territories : imperial prisoners of war alphabetical list : section 4. London, U.K.: Government Printer. AWMM
- Dawson, W. (1961). 18 Battalion and Armoured Regiment. Wellington, N.Z.: Department of Internal Affairs, War History Branch. AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.