Also known as
WWI 27579 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
Pre 1 June 1916 AWMM 70 Tramway Rd, Invercargill, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
Mrs C. Pow (mother), 70 Tramway Road, Invercargill, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 23 September 1916 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- Height, Unknown Period AWMM
5 feet 10 3/4 inches AWMM
- Weight, Unknown Period AWMM
198 pounds AWMM
- Hospital Diseases , Wounds, WWI AWMM
Admitted to 51st General Hospital (3 months) AWMM
- Died from Natural Causes, Cause of Death AWMM
Old Age AWMM
Birth certificate notes Pow's birthdate as 24th February 1898 (actual age on enlistment 18 years 3 months) while embarkation rolls list Pow's birthdate as 25th May 1896.
Brother of His brother Lt. Col. James Pow (DSO)
Documents in the family's possession record that Pow was at No. 5 Rest Camp, Ostrohove, Boulogne, on 20 December 1918. Colonel G.W. Maunsell was the Camp Commandant.
Returned to New Zealand on SS Arawa from Tillbury, London 1 April 1919.
He served in the following units:
On 7 January 1917 he was posted to 8 Company and that became A Company.
2 Battalion of 3 New Zealand Rifle Brigade - which became 2nd Infantry Brigade on 17 January 1917.
On 13 September 1917 he joined the 8th Battalion, A Company.
Died aged 75 years, 5 months AWMM
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
Roll of Honour
Remember George Pow by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
- New Zealand Army Expeditionary Force. (1917). Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Wellington, N.Z.: Govt. Printer. AWMM
41: 16 AWMM
- Pakeha : the journal of the Seventeenth Reinforcements of the New Zealand Expeditionary Forces - aboard H.M.N.Z. Transport 65 (S.S."Pakeha") AWMM
The Pakeha, ship's newspaper AWMM
- Beattie, P.J. & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2015). Onward : portraits of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (vols 1-3). Auckland, New Zealand: Fair Dinkum Publications AWMM
Vol. 3: Includes portrait AWMM
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.