Also known as
Billy Public - Andrea - Direct descendant - 15 January 2018 - Family Records
WWI 12/520 AWMM
Date of birth
Place of birth
Address before enlistment
WW1 Unknown AWMM Dargaville, New Zealand AWMM
Post war occupation
Next of kin on embarkation
WW1 J. Carlton (father), Otonga, Whangarei, North Auckland, New Zealand AWMM
Pre 16 October 1914 AWMM Single AWMM
POW liberation details
POW serial number
- William Carlton was the son of Mr J. Carlton, of Selwyn Street, Onehunga, Auckland.
The Auckland Museum Library's Manuscripts Collection contains a war diary (MS 2004/73) relating partly to William Carlton of the Auckland Infantry Regiment, 1NZEF, but not written by him. Diary entries appear to have been entered retrospectively by an unknown author as memoranda from 1915 until 1 January 1916 when they then become daily, continuing until 6 February 1916. AWMM
- Having carefully read (with some difficulty), through the Manuscript mentioned I'm certain it to be Willaim Carlton's own diary, although it may have been transcribed into a 1916 diary, by someone else unless he managed to get a 1916 diary in 1914. The diary starts from August 1914 and finishes Feb 6 1915 while he is in Zeitoun Camp doing 168 hrs detention. Carltons war record file is limited in information but does show he was sent to Zietoun as mentioned in his diary, on or about the day he records. Names and events are all valid for the period to 6 Feb 1915. Carlton died of wounds on 6 May 1915, the day the Auckland Btn moved to Cape Helles, supposedly while camped near the Stone Bridge at Helles. His was the only Auckland Btn (15th North Auckland Coy) death that day on Helles. Public - Keith - Researcher - 8 December 2015 - Diary manuscript AWM.
Date of death
Age at death
Place of death
Cause of death
- Twelve Tree Copse (New Zealand) Memorial, Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery, Helles, Turkey AWMM
- Roll of Honour, Northern Wairoa RSA, Dargaville AWMM
- Auckland War Memorial Museum, World War 1 Hall of Memories AWMM
Roll of Honour
Remember William Carlton by laying a poppy.
Leave a note
Leave a tribute or memory of
This was my first cousin twice removed. My son Jack is sitting next to me. (10yo) He is the 1st cousin 3 times removed. My mother told me this. She does the family genealogy. Interesting.
Public - Michael - Other Relative - 27 April 2015
|15 January 2018||Andrea||London, Uk||Other relative||
|08 December 2015||Keith||Auckland||Researcher||
|27 April 2015||Michael||Beachhaven||Other Relative||
The development of the Online Cenotaph is an ongoing process; updates, new images and records are added weekly. In some cases, records have yet to be confirmed by Museum staff, and there could be mistakes or omissions in the information provided.